Know Your Rights. Know Your Options.

Sealing Minnesota Criminal Records

A criminal record carries many negative consequences. It can prevent you from voting or owning a firearm and can make it more difficult for you to obtain employment or housing.  Depending on the facts of your case, expungement may reduce or eliminate these negative consequences.

In Minnesota, convictions for misdemeanors, gross misdemeanors, and certain felonies are eligible for a statutory expungement that will seal all records related to the case, provided certain conditions are met. Once sealed, records cannot be disclosed to or viewed by the public except under court order. This means that records searches relating to employment, housing, or other matters will not return results for the conviction. Certain criminal convictions, including many crimes of violence, are not eligible for expungements, as well as certain felonies even when later deemed to be misdemeanors.

Minnesota law allows for the sealing of both judicial records (court records) and executive branch records (these would include police records, prosecution records, and records held by the BCA and other government agencies). It is important to consult with the statute and an experienced attorney to determine if your case qualifies for either or both of these types of expungement. If it does, Fabian Hoffner can walk you through the process and work to get your records sealed.

Expungement typically takes approximately six months from start to finish. This begins by requesting all criminal records, researching the history and facts of the case, discussing how things have changed since the conviction and the concrete benefits that would come from conviction. The next step is to serve notice on all relevant government agencies, and request a court date. Following the hearing, the government has 60 days to appeal the expungement, at which point the records will be sealed.

If you wish to petition for an expungement of a criminal conviction, there is a $299.00 court filing fee, which may vary by county.

For your free consultation, call 612-206-3777 to learn about your options, your rights, and to have any questions you may have answered honestly and promptly.